Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Pines by Robert Dunbar

Paperback 333 pages

Horror

2008

Synopsis:

Deep within the desolate Pine Barrens of New Jersey, a series of gruesome murders draws ever nearer to an isolated farmhouse where a woman struggles to raise her disturbed son. The boy seems to have a psychic connection to an evil presence deep in the dark forest. The old timers know the truth of the legendary creature that stalks the Pine Barrens, and how savage it can be.

My Take:

With very small print and long winded prose, the book reads a lot longer than its 333 pages. But don't let that stop you from picking up this book. Despite its short comings, the story is amazing from the start. Like only the best horror writers, Dunbar will cause you to keep your lights on for weeks after reading this novel. You will also be wary to step outside after dark. If, while traveling through New Jersey, I get a flat tire late at night, I will think twice about pulling off to the side of the road to change it. I would drive for miles looking for a well lit populated area to stop. And I still wouldn't get out of my car. I 'd call triple A and let them change it. Horror fans give this book a try. You won't be sorry.

I rate it a 6.2

No comments:

Post a Comment